Did you know May is National Date Your Mate month? Whether you’re in the whirlwind of wedding planning, happily rooted in married life, or somewhere in between, here are some fun and easy ideas to keep the sparks flying year-round!
- TBT: Revisit your old stomping grounds and recreate your very first date you (no matter what it is!). Reminiscing is both romantic and powerful. The nostalgia will be a nice reminder of how crazy-in-love you were (and still are!), and how far you’ve come as a couple.
- Walk the walk: Go on a hike, visit a botanical garden, or explore a new part of town completely on foot. Not only will you enjoy sunlight and fresh air, you’ll have plenty of chances to hold your honey’s hand. Cue the collective “Awww!”
- Sweets with your sweetheart: Have you ever visited a chocolate factory and witnessed how the decadence unfolds? (Fascinating). How about treating yourselves to a baking or cake decorating class? There are lots of fun and creative ways to satisfy sweet cravings together while learning something new.
- Cultural cuties: A midday (better yet – midweek) visit to a museum or gallery can be restorative for the mind and soul. Take in the sights and sounds, then head over to a new-to-you spot for a late lunch. Daytime dates feel like stolen time in the best possible way.
- Music masters: Regardless of whether your taste is more classical than folk, going to a concert together is always a thrilling experience. Outdoor shows are especially nice and romantic this time of year (packed picnic basket and wine, anyone?).
- Road trip romance: Discover a charming town within driving distance and use that car time for good old-fashioned conversation. Sightseeing together is all but guaranteed to help you connect and create fresh new memories while you’re at it.
- Farm to table: Depending on where you live, many local farms offer tours and fruit picking throughout the year. Cherries, berries, and citrus fruits are all ripe for the picking in May. Visit PickYourOwn.org to find a farm near you and get set to savor the hand-picked bounty with your love.
- Set the stage: There’s something magical about seeing a stage production, whether it’s Broadway or on a much smaller community scale. Support your local performing arts with tickets to a play or symphony, then get lost in the beautiful story together.
- Kids at heart: When was the last time you had pure, giddy fun? Delight your inner child by visiting a local amusement or theme park with your partner (no kids allowed!). You’ll feel downright gleeful riding roller coasters and reliving some of your best childhood memories.
- Cook up some love: Find a new recipe to try and turn it into a shared foodie adventure. Go to a local spice shop or farmers market to buy exotic ingredients, then educate yourselves on the culture behind the meal. You can even play music related to the cuisine as you make delicious harmony in the kitchen.
- Burn it off: Take an exercise class together and you’ll quickly find that sweaty is sexy. Try something your partner loves that’s new to you (some ideas: boxing, yoga, or cycling). Better yet, try something totally new together. Who knows? You may both fall in love with the class and share sweat sessions more regularly.
- Volunteer with your Valentine: Doing good is good. Doing good with your favorite person in the world? Even better. Check out VolunteerMatch.org to find the perfect volunteering opportunity you can share.
Bonus: Surprise Proposal! You didn’t think we’d forget the pièce de résistance of dates, did you? No matter what the context, we think you’ll agree that there’s no date more romantic than the one that includes a very important question, a beautiful diamond ring, and a genuinely ecstatic “Yes!”
May is a long month. You have exactly 31 days to date your mate, and we hope we’ve given you some inspiration! What’s your all-time favorite date idea?